Random stuff, in no particular order about no particular subject(s) whatever.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

...oh, and don't be fooled. I often ramble here several times a day. Really, I know I should be doing something else - but don't TELL.

Wednesday, September 10, 2008

I saw the cardinals again today. :-)

And they're singing up a storm in the forsythia bushes next to the back deck. Calling to each other and flitting from branch to branch. I know they're there, but they're just out of sight. I find them comforting anyway.

For those of you who don't know, the cardinals remind me of my parents. My Mom died in February of 2005 and then last year, my Dad died in March. Both were unexpected.

This is what I wrote about cardinals back in February when I had a blog on MySpace (gag. It just wasn't "me" over there)

Ground Hog Day is tomorrow. Right now there's the pitter-patter of sleet and freezing rain outside my (dark) window. Is Spring really not so far off? It's hard to believe sometimes.

I saw a cardinal the other day. Unremarkable, I know. But there's a story. I'm much more aware of cardinals these days.

After my mother died, I started seeing a cardinal in my backyard. While that might not seem unusual, I've been feeding the backyard birds here for 14 years and the cardinals did not come to my yard. My neighbor's yards, yes, just not mine.

Anyway, I took comfort in the sight of those cardinals and thought often of how my mother was with me in spirit, although I missed her physical presence. Why a cardinal? Well, my mother loved cardinals and I just associated this cardinal with her. Hey, it's not something I need to analyze deeply, I'll take comfort wherever I can get it.

When my father died last year and I started being visited by a pair of cardinals - a male and female and they often perched in a backyard tree and sang to me while I was on the deck and I was at peace. Suddenly, I saw cardinals in places I never did. Cardinals showed up in the brush by the parking lot when I got to work, they flitted past me when I went for a hike. I found a cardinal garden flag among the supplies in my Dad's garage. I took it. It hangs by my front door. My mother-in-law gave me a cardinal Christmas ornament.

Cardinals were everywhere, and usually turn up on just those days that I'm feeling sorry for myself. God is good! All the time!

Is it the spirit or presence of my parents? I don't now, but does it matter? They make me smile.

Time to wake the children.
*******************************************

Back to the present.

Tomorrow would have been my Dad's 77th birthday.

It's also my 15th wedding anniversary. And of course, the BIG ANNIVERSARY.

It's still another day on the calendar, ripe with it's own future, although we will never forget the past.

I saw the cardinals again today.

Peace.

7 comments:

Elle said...

I, for one, happen to be a believer of such things. True or not, they do bring comfort. (But I still think they're true!)

Happy Anniversary, to you and Kristin's Husband.

You made me smile with this :)

Deb said...

That is beautiful. I think God gives us these signs, really I do. I love birds, and I especially love to watch the male and female cardinal. Sometimes, the male one will feed the female one...so cute!

Evil Twin's Wife said...

What a blessing for you. Cardinals are our state bird! :-)

3carnations said...

Very nice post.

We have a ceramic cardinal Christmas ornament.

Lorrie Veasey said...

At first I was worried this would be a baseball post and I would have to kick you ass, being a Phillies fan.

Instead, what a sweet and beautiful posting that makes me admire you for your humor and strength all the more. It is nice to see behind your corners.

BTW: Thystle and I HAVE decided to run away together in a red corvette. She gets to be Thelma. Why don't you hop a train into the city next week and meet us for a cocktail? Nyack is too close to miss a chance to be blessed by The Thystle.

K.Pete said...

What a wonderful story!! I'm so sorry for your losses but am happy to hear you have found something from which you are able to take comfort.

I love cardinals - they are so beautiful!!

Tink1272 said...

Kind of a lurker, here, but... I have a similar story, only with a hummingbird and my dad.

It's so amazing, isn't it? It's like they are watching over you, but in a feasible way - you can actually see them!

Post a Comment

What Are *You Thinking About?
Go ahead, you can tell me.
It's just between us. ;-)

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Let's Give' Em Something to Talk About.....

How 'bout life?....

analytics

Observational Humor Blogs - BlogCatalog Blog Directory

Look how many people have wandered in